domenica 2 marzo 2008






What you see in the pic is not any of the parks in Sydney...it’s the campus of the Macquarie University, where it’s supposed i’ll spend most of my time here... just remembering i’m in Australia for study reasons, not only for fun!!

The campus is a very big area, with a lot of green spaces, the buildings of all the faculties where to attend the classes, some shops, a foodcourt, a theater, and a lot of sport facilities. And some student residences as well. So it’s almost everything a student needs!

The population of the campus is very heterogeneous! Well, first because the Australian society is very multiethnic, so you meet people of european origin but also people from asian descent, you can see women with the traditional islamic veil or Sikh indian men...
moreover there’s a very high number of international students. Two groups are the largest: the Japanese/Korean and the Americans.
We Europeans are a minority and I did meet few Italians so far!

The Australian university system is a bit different from the italian one. They have distinction between lectures (about the same than an italian lecture) and tutorials (that are little groups class, where you have discussions, group works, debating... they are compulsory). They require you to do some work during all the course, every week, sometimes readings, sometimes essay.

I had my first week of classes... I have to admit that some have been really hard! I mean that in some classes i understood not more than the 50% of what the teacher was telling. It’s just happening what i was afraid of... i don’t have the chance to practice english in Italy (i mean, speaking and listening it), so here my difficulties with the language come! My listening skills are not so great yet to understand an academic lecture... and, guess what? The lesson i understood best is the Arabic one!! I mean, for the ones who don’t know it yet, i decided to take an elementary Arabic course as well here. It’s another way to test myself, more the Arabic is a quite “popular” language in the international relations field by now, so it could be useful one day. As the arabic teacher is not english native speaker, i understand her well. So after the first week, i can say the Arabic was the easiest subject for me! and i learnt the first 5 letters of the arabic alphabet! I can write them, but... sorry, i can’t show you that!!

Moreover, my being still a bit uncomfortable with the language causes me some difficulties in the social relations as well!! When the australians (or the americans) speak quickly or with a particular accent, it becomes not easy at all and “tiring” for me to keep the conversation!

anyway, one of the biggest aims for my coming to Australia is to improve my english, so i hope and i think with the passing of the time the things will go better...

Nessun commento: